Monday, September 23, 2013

Betsy, North American Black Bear

Betsy's Story

 
This small female black bear was ordered removed by officials with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Fish and Wildlife not once but twice, before finding permanent refuge.
 
Her first owner tied her up on a very short chain to a post and allowed people to pay to bring in their dogs to train them how to hunt bear.  As a result she suffered a lot of abuse and carries with her many scars, a badly healed broken foot, partial blindness, and many missing and broken teeth.  This illegal activity was finally stopped and the bear was relocated to another private owner.

Just two years later Betsy was again suffering from inadequate care and had to be removed.  This time officials asked a well respected animal sanctuary to take her knowing the bear would finally receive the proper care she deserves. This story is only one of many that are currently going on in the United States, and most people have no idea.
 
You can visit Black Pine Animal Sanctuary in Albion, IN.

3 comments:

  1. I am so passionate about this topic. I recently watched a documentary titled “Elephant in the Living room” and it really opened my eyes about what happens in the United States. I love animals and it’s incredibly sad and heart breaking what people can do to a living being that can’t defend itself. Wild animals need to stay in the wild. I couldn’t agree more with you when you say that most people are blissfully unaware of this tragic ‘pet’ trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you have seen "The Elephant in the Living Room", it explains so much and really gets viewer's attention. Another good documentary on this subject is "Tiger Next Door" if you're interested, it takes place in Indiana.

      Delete
  2. Let me just say that I am not an animal person. It's not that I don't like them, but I'm afraid of them. However, this is a very sad story. People think because powerful animals, such as bears, do not have feelings and can't feel pain. However, they can. It is not right and I hope that Betsy finds an owner who is willing to tend to her every need.

    ReplyDelete